Monday, October 14, 2013

Happy Anniversary to you my Type 1 Diabetes!




October 14, 2013

Dearest Type 1 Diabetes,

Happy Anniversary!  It has been 31 years since you became a part of my life and although I’m not always fully committed to you and think sometimes that you are just about the biggest pain in my ass; I just want you to know I am still here!  

I’m here for you through it all, even though you’re kind of an ass to some of my closest friends; like Brain, Heart, the Kidneys and the Eyes, not to mention the Fingers and the Toes.  I do what I can to protect them from you but our length of time together has started making this difficult. 
  
Maybe you’re a jerk because not everyone understands you like I do; the fact that you can’t help who you are and people think you might go away if I eat better or exercised more so you just stick around to prove them all wrong.  Honestly, I’m guessing you and I are going to be together for eternity.

Through you I’ve met some new friends; Hypoglycemia, Hyperglycemia to name a couple.  I don’t really dig your kind of people; Hypo makes me sweat and sound like a babbling idiot and I feel like I can’t put anything into words when she is around.  Hyper just makes me cranky and ache and not want to be around anyone at all.  Then there’s Retinopathy; you introduced him to my friends the BloodVessels, you remember them right, they are best friends with the Eyes.  I had to seek therapy when Retinopathy came along, he was a real jerk!

Luckily we have some together friends and I really like them a lot!  Insulin, Meter, Pump, Glucose Tabs and Fruit Snacks have been absolute life savers through the years.  We are very lucky to have them I’d say!

I’d love to sit and reminisce about our years together but honestly it’s getting more difficult; you haven’t been kind to Brain and Memory.

Although we’ve been together for 31 years, frankly, I am just tired of you and your incessant whining.  Maybe we should take a break huh?  Oh my goodness, do you remember the last break we had?  It was late October or early November in 1982. That I will never forget!  We had only been together a short time and we took a “honeymoon”, oh that was the best 2 weeks EVER!!  I suppose we have had some good times though!  Because of you I am responsible, organized and always know where the local hospitals are, those are good things!!

Well, I just really want you to know that even though I don’t always like you, I will always be here for you, for as long as you need me.  I hear your friend Cure has been looking for you for a long time though…maybe you should give her a call.  I won’t be mad, I promise!

Yours Truly,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment